/* ----------------------------------------------- Blogger Template Style Name: Minima Black Designer: Douglas Bowman URL: www.stopdesign.com Date: 26 Feb 2004 ----------------------------------------------- */ CompuDave: Browser Update

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Browser Update

Well I did the FireFox 2.0 yesterday as well. To be fair I also did IE7 and the latest Opera.
FF installed perfectly as well as all extension updates. Total install about 4 mins.
Installed and updated:
Imagezoom
Greasemonkey
Adblock
FireFTP

not compatible
TabMixPlus
ColorfulTabs

IE failed its first install probably because of ZoneAlarm asking but me not allowing a home page change. Second time I allowed and it went. About 10 min total install time.

Opera installed in about 3 min.

This is a fast machine AMD Athalon 64 4000+ 1gig. All browsers seem fast with all three running. FF 2 seems a little slower than FF 1.5. IE7 seems reasonably fast until you get more than about 6 tabs open. Opera still seems the fastest.

IE7 did one total lockup on me when I purposely tried to push about 10 tabs open fast. I couldn't seem to force it to end either. When I brought up task manager there were 2 instances of IE running and killing them both finally did it.

The toolbars in IE7 hit me as odd but probably just different.
IE7 seems okay but nothing compelling. FF 2 now has built in spelling check which is just great. If a word shows up with a red line while filling in a form like this one, just right click on it and a list of replacements shows up.

I still like Opera too but with FF extensibility and spell check I'll stick with it.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home